Who doesn’t like a nice cold and refreshing drink on a hot summers day. Ideally served along side some good food, (Bajan Fish Cakes anyone!?) and good friends, this rum punch fits the bill for any summer party. Especially a national holiday such as Canada Day! This cocktail recipe is inspired by an extremely popular choice of drink in Barbados,(Rum!) rum punch is thirst quenching, and best of all so good! While it can be flavored with an endless combination of fruit juices to create unique flavors, it’s important to use a good quality rum to really set this Caribbean Rum Punch recipe above the rest. Mount Gay Eclipse or Mount Gay Extra Old are ideal, (and the traditional Barbadian choice!) and blend beautifully with the rest of the ingredients.
Barbadians even have a simple rhyme to remember this rum punch recipe by:
'One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak. A dash of bitters and a sprinkle of spice, serves well chilled with plenty of ice' - The only Rum Punch recipe you'll ever need!Click To Tweet
Easy enough to remember isn’t it!? With only five ingredients this rum punch couldn’t be easier to mix up, and best of all, no special bartending skills are required!
Some of the links in this post lead to affiliate sites through which Earth, Food, and Fire may earn a small commission (at no increased cost to you) should you make a purchase. This allows us to stay online and keep creating awesome content! For more info check the Affiliate Disclaimer.
Carribean Rum Punch
- One part (1/4 cup) – Fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice (though any citrus will do)
- Two parts (1/2 cup) – Brown Sugar
- Three Parts (3/4 cup) – Dark Rum
- Four Parts (1 cup) – Water or Fruit Juice (I used Watermelon Juice)
In regards to the bitters and spice, a dash or two of Angostura Bitters (affiliate) and a sprinkle of nutmeg are added to each glass. For a pop of color serve the Rum Punch in a pitcher and throw in some cucumber slices.
Mixing up a batch of this tasty cocktail is quick and easy, perfect for a last minute party drink. Simply mix all the ingredients in a large jug or bowl, mix, and then chill for half an hour before serving to make sure it’s nice and cold.While the recipe calls for lemon or lime juice, feel free to experiment and use other citrus juices. Why not try fresh orange or grapefruit juice?
This Bajan Rum Punch will last almost indefinitely in the fridge, but let’s be serious, you’ll be lucky if it lasts the day!
Be warned this rum punch goes down very easy and can pack a nasty punch if you drink to much! Before you know it, you’ll be face down in the sand! Serve with plenty of ice, and as always drink responsibly and have fun!
Happy Canada Day!
- One part 1/4 cup - Fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice (though any citrus will do)
- Two parts 1/2 cup - Brown Sugar
- Three Parts 3/4 cup - Dark Rum
- Four Parts 1 cup - Water (You can substitute the water for fruit juice to create your own flavor variations!)
- Mixing up a batch of this cocktail is quick and easy, perfect for a last minute party drink.
- Simply mix all the ingredients in a large jug, mix, and then chill for half an hour before serving to make sure it's nice and cold.
- Garnish with Angostura Bitters and some grated nutmeg
Some of the links in this post lead to affiliate sites through which Earth, Food, and Fire may earn a small commission (at no increased cost to you) should you make a purchase. This allows us to stay online and keep creating awesome content! For more info check the Affiliate Disclaimer. All advice, and opinions are based on observations in my own garden.
© 2017 – 2018, Markus Mueller | Earth, Food, and Fire. All rights reserved. Please contact Earth, Food, and Fire, if you wish to use any media or other content contained on this site.